The building of the Darat is distinguished by its innovative architectural design; its exterior echoes the great facades of Nabataean Mada'in Saleh. The external walls are simple enough to maintain harmony with the minute details of the windows and the doors, which are made of engraved wood.The intricate woodwork follows the conventional intricate patterns that used to ornament the doors of the old houses in Jeddah, and it precisely replicates the engravings on the door of the old house of Binzagr at Harat Asham.
The conception of establishing Darat Safeya Binzagr goes back to 1989 when the artist felt the need for finding a place that accommodates all of her paintings permanently. She wanted to be able to display her work in a distinctive manner that meets the standards of international museums, so she took the initial steps to begin construction of the building in 1922.
The building was ready by 1995, and on the 23rd of January 2000, the Dara was opened officially by H.R.H Prince AbdulMajeed Bin AbdulAziz AlSaud, to mark a significant and formidable genuine artist to the history of art in Saudi Arabia.